Monday 31 December 2012

I've got a brain but I'm a bit afraid to use it.

It's very hard to be reflective on the everyday trials and tribulations of life when you've got toddler wee on your socks.

Nevertheless, it appears to be the time to do the whole looking-back-on-the-year thing. The trouble is I have the memory of a goldfish that's been shot in the head with an adamantium bullet (that's one for the geeks and a frank admission I've seen Wolverine: Origins and yes, I enjoyed it goddammit) and can only remember the year in news with prompting via Google, or a TV end-of-year programme. Incidentally  I'm watching one of them right now. I've forgotten most of the news they've talked about in the first hour already.

I think that it may be hard to remember the news if it doesn't personally intertwine with your own life. Obviously the bigger things will shine through, like the Olympics. You couldn't have not noticed that to be honest, and quite rightly too. The London Olympics was possibly the highlight of the year for many. Even if you don't like sport that much, you couldn't help but be sucked in to the pride of seeing British athletes earning their place in history. I'll be honest, I didn't know who Mo Farrah, Jessica Ennis and that bloke with ginger hair who jumped really far was before the summer. But now I do. Except for that Ginger bloke, I still can't remember his name.

You might think that I was going to continue with some half arsed review of the year.  Instead I'm going to tell you what I'm planning for the new year. I know that talking about new year's resolutions will generally make peoples eyes roll so much that it seems like they are having some sort of a fit, but I will try and make it sound less wanky than other people's.

It started with me wondering about what the boys will do when they get older. I imagined myself feeling proud at what they will achieve and that wishing that I would've actually got around to doing what I wanted to do. Then I realized that I wasn't it wasn't the future and I'm not fucking geriatric.

So I'm going to read more books. I don't read at all. Come to think of it i think I've only read six books and three of them were Red Dwarf novels. I'm going to try and learn some languages, and start with Welsh. It seems like the right thing to do. I want to aim for French as well, possibly, as I know up to (and including) twelve words in French, so it's a start.

But the main thing i want to do is finish something. Anything really. I've always had a dream of doing something creative and I feel the need to see it through. You see, I've never really followed through on anything I've tried. Cricket, music, writing and so on and so forth. Ironically this blog is the only thing I've ever persisted with. So my aim is to try and finish at least my odd short novel about a Private eye in the future, despite the fact that the same idea was used by Charlie Brooker and Futurama. I've also had an idea of another sci-fi story. Well, write what you know, eh?

The thing is, if you want to leave a mark on the world, then you have to at least fucking try. I've not tried, but I will. This time next year I hope to show you a whole bunch of rejection letters from a bunch of people that shows that even if I didn't succeed, I made the effort and I've got something to show for it.


So my new year's resolution is to try and finally apply myself. God know it's about fifteen years too late.

So, happy new year and a genuine thanks to all that have at least read the blog and help me earn thirteen whole pounds.

 See you on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment